Saturday, June 11, 2011

Gotta Start Somewhere...

I’ve been dabbling with the idea of starting a blog for years now.  Initially, as a pre-med post-bacc student, while I was working EMS in the greatest, yet most ineffective in delivering medical services, city in the world- New York.  Blogging at the time seemed like an effective outlet for my frustrations and discontent with the limitations of a potentially great system.  A system that could make a difference in so many people’s lives... a system that has become no more than glorified medicaid taxi service, filled with disgruntled souls. Many are brilliant clinicians who are just burnt out on the bullshit, others, a newer, younger generation, are the protocol-spewing drones of the fire department, that I wouldn’t allow to treat a dead dog.  
I thought of blogging again, while I was applying to medical school, to document what I deemed an improbable journey for me... a mediocre GPA, plagued by countless semesters of average-destroying unofficial withdrawals, and physics repeats without breaking a C.  For the record, anyone who tells you a strong MCAT score makes up for poor or inconsistent academic performance in undergrad, is smoking crack. 
And finally, after acceptance into the Charter Foundations Program at St. George’s University.  I wanted to share my experiences, document this journey, the building of a strong medical student from shaky beginnings.  But as with most things in my life, I would always get really excited about the idea of something, and then ultimately loose interest or procrastinate.  
So here I am, in probably my last summer of freedom for a while.  I have completed the Charter Foundations Program, and will start term 1 in a few short months.  Driven by the requests of some friends, a lack of employment, and for once a great deal of free time on my hands, I guess I can finally blog.  I hope for it to be entertaining, informative, heck even inspirational, because seriously if I can do this after a decade-long detour, anyone can.  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT.....GOOOO TIFFY...i'M PROUD OF YOU GIRLY GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to share this informative post with us. I enjoyed stopping by your blog for your detailed information in this article. Have a great rest of your day.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete